I went along to a meeting of Extinction Rebellion Weston-super-Mare last Tuesday evening. It’s raising awareness of the environmental catastrophe that will befall us within 12 years if we/governments don’t get our climate change act together. It’s also considering peaceful/legal actions that can be taken to encourage local/national government as well as industry to commit to SMART actions and policies to protect not only the future of our ecosystems but the futures of ourselves and our children too. This morning I woke up to the realisation I can’t really try to influence change in others if I don’t make changes in myself. So having spent years focusing on physical and mental well-being, today I’m committing myself to take more responsibility for my environment and to make more of the lifestyle changes I’ve pondered for ages (e.g. to make and use more eco friendly products, recycle more etc). You may say or think “Is that it?” I say “OK, it’s a small step in the right direction… we all have some responsibility for our environment… if we all take small steps we’ll have an impact… one small step for mankind… there is always hope…” If you’re curious, why not take a look at the page and maybe like it and join the group
The group (along with other XTR groups across the country) is committed to:-
Declaration of Rebellion
“To love truth for truth’s sake is the principal part of human perfection in this world, and the seed-plot of all other virtues”
We hold the following to be true:
- This is our darkest hour.
- Humanity finds itself embroiled in an event unprecedented in its history. One which, unless immediately addressed, will catapult us further into the destruction of all we hold dear: this nation, its peoples, our ecosystems and the future of generations to come.
- The science is clear:- we are in the sixth mass extinction event and we will face catastrophe if we do not act swiftly and robustly.
- Biodiversity is being annihilated around the world. Our seas are poisoned, acidic and rising. Flooding and desertification will render vast tracts of land uninhabitable and lead to mass migration.
- Our air is so toxic that the United Kingdom is breaking the law. It harms the unborn whilst causing tens of thousands to die. The breakdown of our climate has begun. There will be more wildfires, unpredictable super storms, increasing famine and untold drought as food supplies and fresh water disappear.
- The ecological crises that are impacting upon this nation, and indeed this planet and its wildlife can no longer be ignored, denied nor go unanswered by any beings of sound rational thought, ethical conscience, moral concern, or spiritual belief.
- In accordance with these values, the virtues of truth and the weight of scientific evidence, we declare it our duty to act on behalf of the security and well-being of our children, our communities and the future of the planet itself.
- We, in alignment with our consciences and our reasoning, declare ourselves in rebellion against our Government and the corrupted, inept institutions that threaten our future.
- The wilful complicity displayed by our government has shattered meaningful democracy and cast aside the common interest in favour of short-term gain and private profits.
- When Government and the law fail to provide any assurance of adequate protection, as well as security for its people’s well-being and the nation’s future, it becomes the right of its citizens to seek redress in order to restore dutiful democracy and to secure the solutions needed to avert catastrophe and protect the future. It becomes not only our right, it becomes our sacred duty to rebel.
- We hereby declare the bonds of the social contract to be null and void, which the government has rendered invalid by its continuing failure to act appropriately. We call upon every principled and peaceful citizen to rise with us.
- We demand to be heard, to apply informed solutions to these ecological crises and to create a national assembly by which to initiate those solutions needed to change our present cataclysmic course.
We refuse to bequeath a dying planet to future generations by failing to act now.
We act in peace, with ferocious love of these lands in our hearts. We act on behalf of life