* Massaging the pads of your thumbs – can promote positive feelings and boost your confidence
* Smile to Yourself – fixing your face into a smile can work wonders, try 2 sets of 5 smile repetitions
*Control your Breathing – deep breathing can help reduce stress, try closing your eyes and breathing in deeply from your diaphragm to the count of five, then breathe out to the count of 5 imagining the tension leaving your body through your mouth as you do so; hold for a count of 2. Repeat for 5 minutes.
*Tell yourself to Stop – if your mind’s racing and full of negative thoughts, take some time to yourself and set a timer for 4 minutes. Focus on any worries then when the timer goes off shout “Stop,” and click your fingers. Try to empty your mind and keep it blank for 30 seconds. If an upsetting thought comes back to you, shout “Stop” and snap your fingers again. After a few practices, say “Stop” in a normal voice, then the time after that, whisper it. You should soon be able to halt any negative thoughts by clicking your fingers and thinking “Stop.”
Beautiful white carnations in my treatment room – carnations generally symbolise love, fascination and distinction. White carnations also symbolise pure love and good luck x
Holistic Health : Remembering what’s in your Self-CareToolkit : The 5 Reiki Principles
The Reiki principles are good principles to live your life by, you don’t have to ‘do’ Reiki to follow them. There are slightly varying versions of the principles – the ones I learned are:-
1. Just for today I will not worry
2. Just for today I will not anger
3. Just for today I will be grateful
4. Just for today I will work honestly (including on myself)
5. Just for today I will be kind to all living things.
Repeating the 5 principles on a regular basis helps reinforce them in our lives – they can help us release negative habits. You can also reflect on the principles just one at a time – perhaps a different one each time.
I’ve had difficulty resolving a personal ‘thing’ that came up and have tried a number of ways to move forward and through it (including finding a quiet space and deep breathing, walking in nature, writing in my journal, affirmations). As I went to bed last night I realised I’d forgotten to try one of my longest known methods – reflecting/ meditating on the 5 Reiki principles.
Always remember to be kind to yourself as revelations come to you during your reflection time. I had to smile at how I’d been pondering “What on earth’s up with me” when as often happens, my way forward was already with me! As I say, the Reiki principles are good principles to live your life by, you don’t have to ‘do’ Reiki to follow them. Why not try repeating them to yourself for 21 days or more and see what the impact is. Get in touch if you’ve got any queries or if you’re interested in Reiki training. x.
I’ve been pondering how I can get fitter and more supple. I’ve found chanting very therapeutic and helpful in letting go of the old to make space for the new, and enjoy meditating (usually opting for whatever style I’m drawn to at the time), and I’d been thinking I’d like to give yoga another go – it just didn’t suit me when I last tried a few years ago. Well a few weeks ago I came across all these things being combined in one monthly afternoon session so I just had to give it a go.
I went along to the Cross Memorial Hall at Cross, near Axbridge in Somerset and had a great time, especially as there were some familiar faces already there when I arrived. After a welcoming cuppa, the yoga session started at 1pm and I have to admit some of the moves were a bit tough for me in places (as I suspected they would be). This was followed by a very therapeutic, enjoyable, releasing and relaxing chant and meditation session from 2.30pm – 4.30pm, and of course another cuppa before we went home. Initially nervous before the afternoon started, I really needn’t have worried – there were people of all ages there who were all very friendly and at varying levels of fitness. At only £7.50 for the yoga and £15 for the chanting/meditation, the whole afternoon was excellent value – a great way to spend a Sunday. I went home very pleasantly relaxed and calm.
The teacher that afternoon was Sarena Mason of Birch Moon, based in Axbridge, a very experienced, approachable, friendly lady. Turns out she’ll be holding regular monthly sessions on the first Sunday of every month at Cross Memorial Hall, near Axbridge in Somerset, a lovely venue in a scenic setting. Should you wish you can attend either the yoga on its own or the chanting/meditation but I combined both sessions at an incredibly good, hard to beat price of just £20. I’d highly recommend giving these sessions a try. Sarena’s number is 07974 340580. Check out www.birchmoon.co.uk
I went along to a meeting of Extinction Rebellion Weston-super-Mare last Tuesday evening. It’s raising awareness of the environmental catastrophe that will befall us within 12 years if we/governments don’t get our climate change act together. It’s also considering peaceful/legal actions that can be taken to encourage local/national government as well as industry to commit to SMART actions and policies to protect not only the future of our ecosystems but the futures of ourselves and our children too. This morning I woke up to the realisation I can’t really try to influence change in others if I don’t make changes in myself. So having spent years focusing on physical and mental well-being, today I’m committing myself to take more responsibility for my environment and to make more of the lifestyle changes I’ve pondered for ages (e.g. to make and use more eco friendly products, recycle more etc). You may say or think “Is that it?” I say “OK, it’s a small step in the right direction… we all have some responsibility for our environment… if we all take small steps we’ll have an impact… one small step for mankind… there is always hope…” If you’re curious, why not take a look at the page and maybe like it and join the group
The group (along with other XTR groups across the country) is committed to:-
Declaration of Rebellion
“To love truth for truth’s sake is the principal part of human perfection in this world, and the seed-plot of all other virtues”
We hold the following to be true:
- This is our darkest hour.
- Humanity finds itself embroiled in an event unprecedented in its history. One which, unless immediately addressed, will catapult us further into the destruction of all we hold dear: this nation, its peoples, our ecosystems and the future of generations to come.
- The science is clear:- we are in the sixth mass extinction event and we will face catastrophe if we do not act swiftly and robustly.
- Biodiversity is being annihilated around the world. Our seas are poisoned, acidic and rising. Flooding and desertification will render vast tracts of land uninhabitable and lead to mass migration.
- Our air is so toxic that the United Kingdom is breaking the law. It harms the unborn whilst causing tens of thousands to die. The breakdown of our climate has begun. There will be more wildfires, unpredictable super storms, increasing famine and untold drought as food supplies and fresh water disappear.
- The ecological crises that are impacting upon this nation, and indeed this planet and its wildlife can no longer be ignored, denied nor go unanswered by any beings of sound rational thought, ethical conscience, moral concern, or spiritual belief.
- In accordance with these values, the virtues of truth and the weight of scientific evidence, we declare it our duty to act on behalf of the security and well-being of our children, our communities and the future of the planet itself.
- We, in alignment with our consciences and our reasoning, declare ourselves in rebellion against our Government and the corrupted, inept institutions that threaten our future.
- The wilful complicity displayed by our government has shattered meaningful democracy and cast aside the common interest in favour of short-term gain and private profits.
- When Government and the law fail to provide any assurance of adequate protection, as well as security for its people’s well-being and the nation’s future, it becomes the right of its citizens to seek redress in order to restore dutiful democracy and to secure the solutions needed to avert catastrophe and protect the future. It becomes not only our right, it becomes our sacred duty to rebel.
- We hereby declare the bonds of the social contract to be null and void, which the government has rendered invalid by its continuing failure to act appropriately. We call upon every principled and peaceful citizen to rise with us.
- We demand to be heard, to apply informed solutions to these ecological crises and to create a national assembly by which to initiate those solutions needed to change our present cataclysmic course.
We refuse to bequeath a dying planet to future generations by failing to act now.
We act in peace, with ferocious love of these lands in our hearts. We act on behalf of life
A word for the year gives you a focus behind your actions for that year. In the past, my friend Sue Allsworth from Folkestone has chosen 2016 – Trust and 2017 – Surrender – 2018 – Flowing Faith. Sue says these words for the year have helped ground her and taken her relationship with that word deeper. For 2019, Sue’s words of the year and the vibration she would like to invite in are Healthy Habits. My own words for 2019 are TRUST AND SIMPLIFY with healthy habits being in the background. So what’s going to be your word (or words) of the year?
Don’t look at what you have lost, look at what you have left (Rev Mauritz Erhard)
Learning Reiki in bite sized chunks helps you absorb new learning and any changes the attunement may inspire in your body. For further information please look at My Reiki Journey and Reiki Training tabs. Please don’t hesitate to phone or email me should you wish.